Milo has been an incredibly sleeper for a long time now. By the time he was six months he was sleeping around ten hours a night. Incredible.
But...
this last month or two, Milo has been waking up around 4:30 and not going back to sleep.
Um.
Not ok.
If we give him a bottle he goes back to sleep until around eight. I know this isn't a good idea, but honestly? It felt worth it for a while.
But now that he is getting a bit older we have decided that maybe we should make him learn to sleep by himself, without a bottle putting him back down.
So the last few days when he wakes up at an absurd hour of the morning, we have been attempting to ignore the crying and screaming in the hopes that eventually he will fall back asleep.
This has not happened. The waking up happens, and the screaming happens, but the falling back asleep does not.
He literally cried and screamed for almost two hours last night.
Is this what we are supposed to do?
If we keep letting him scream will he eventually learn to fall back asleep on his own?
It's our own fault really. I mean, we trained him to have a full bottle in the wee hours of the morning, and now his body wants it.
My bad.
ADVICE!!!?!?!
Should we just keep trying to let him cry it out? We end up just waiting until around six o'clock, and then getting him up. But lets be real, I'm not a morning person. At all.
I guess I can learn.
But even six thirty sounds like a much better time to wake up.
All you more experienced mothers out there...what did you do? Should we just let him cry? Even when it lasts hours?
1 comment:
hmm.. it's tough. With Maddox we just kind of rocked him, bounced him, whatever he wanted until he was TWO YEARS OLD. That kid could cry for 7 hours and not fall asleep. It was torture. So for him we just lived through two years of pretty much no sleep at all.
With Asher we decided that wouldn't happen again. So we let him cry it out from the beginning pretty much. I mean, as a tiny baby we got him up to feed him, but that's different. Now the only way we go get him is if we think he's got a poopy diaper. And the only way we get him out of the crib is if he actually does.
Both the boys go to bed with a cup of water. It's actually been awesome because they've learned to take a drink on their own and go back to sleep. And I don't see anything wrong with that. Some adults need water at night... right?
If you can stand it, I'd give him some water... you know, in case he gets thirsty from all the crying... and just let him cry til a more reasonable time... say, 6:30. Even though that's still really early.
Post a Comment