Monday, March 12, 2012

11 months

Milo turned 11 months over the weekend. It sort of got ignored due to the raging illness he has had for about five days, but now that he is on the mend I want to take notice of it.
Less than a month, and my tiny little baby will be a one year old. Um, what? I don't remember agreeing to this. I don't remember saying it was ok for my Milo to grow up.




Also, all of these pictures were extremely hard to take. Milo wanted nothing to do with any of it. At all. He wouldn't look at me, and the few times he did this picture below is the only face I could get from him. I promise he smiles. He makes funny faces. He is such a happy kid. But the second I pull a camera out the cute faces disappear and this is all I get.




This child is a mover. He is all over everything. I don't think I have even seen him crawl in over a month. He wants to be seeing new things and going new places. At the park he thinks he is a big boy and can climb the playground equipment by himself, which he most certainly can, but it makes me nervous. His concept of 'edges' is not very concrete.




He thinks he is funny sometimes, especially when he repeats something I am doing. Such a copycat! I can't wait until he starts copying more words. Right now he can say "uh-oh" and "dada." Dane swears he has said "mama" before, but I haven't every heard him say it on purpose. Milo thinks he is extra funny when he picks up food off of his tray and drops it over the edge, watching it hit the ground, then looking at me and saying "uh-oh." Ha.




He knows how to open doors. Not regular door knobs, but the ones that are a handle that you pull down. Yeah. He has that down. He can not escape his room when we are changing his diaper, and get into the office which is full of stuff he should not be touching. He is so smart. Then when I take him away from the room he shouldn't be in, he throws a monstrous tantrum. The other day I had taped some paper up on the front door so Catherine could draw some pictures, and Milo kept trying to steal her crayons. When she took them back from him, he threw himself violently to the ground and cracked his head on the tile. That's what happens when you throw a fit. But apparently it wasn't enough to stop him from throwing them. 





While he has been sick he has remembered what cuddling is all about. The older he has gotten, and consequently the more mobile he has become, the less he has wanted to sit still. But with him getting sick I can occasionally  get him to cuddle for a few minutes at a time. It's amazing.




Other children are like magnets. He is drawn to them, and wants to be doing what they are doing, and playing with them and most of all loving them. He wants to hug them and put his arms on them and hold their hands and pull them to places to have fun with him. Sometimes I regret that he wasn't a twin, because then he would have a playmate more interesting than mom.



When Milo eats now, he wants his own spoon. He doesn't really try to use it to eat, but mostly just to whack things and make messes. I'm just glad he is finally showing interest in trying. He is also finally using sippy cups (sometimes) and will carry it around, even if he doesn't actually drink out of it.



He's practically grown up. Right? His birthday is in a few weeks. It will be grand. And full of laughing. And tears on my part. But just a little.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I wish I had words to describe how cool I think Milo--and his mom and dad--are. Can't find them.

Dad