Sunday, June 10, 2012

14 months

My baby sister Catherine spends all day during the summer with Milo and me at our house. Basically I have a second child for the summer. It is really good practice for me to learn how to entertain an older and younger child at the same time.

Since Cat is taking a swimming lesson, and I get to take her to those, I figured I might as well sign up Milo for a Mommy and Me swim class at the same time because I knew there was no way I would be able to keep baby away from the pool for a half hour.

 He loves it. And even better is the fact that twice a week Mr. Milo gets to go to his swimming lesson with his daddy. Which he also loves.


(Random side note...some lady at church the other day stopped me in the hallway and asked me what nick names I called my son because she could have sworn I called him something really unique and cute that she liked. I literally have no clue what she is talking about. I gave her a bunch of Milo's nicknames, and quickly realized that she MUST have the wrong person. It was super awkward. Anyways).

 My baby child is now 14 months old. It's amazing to me how much more advanced he seems than a baby only a month or two younger than him. I should definitely stop referring to him as a baby, since he is completely a toddler now.


Just within the past two weeks he has become fascinated with books! Always before I could never get him to sit still and look at a book for longer than five seconds...but now, he brings books to me and squishes his way onto my lap and insists that I read to him. This makes me so happy. Hopefully this new found love of books continues.


He has started laughing at his own little jokes. Or if he hears other people laughing he will fake laugh out loud just because they are. He makes "vroom" noises when he drives his toy cars and trains and planes around, and he finally realized that he can crawl on the ground pushing these toys in front of him. He sings along to music ALL THE TIME. In the car, at church during the hymns, and even when he is waking up from nap. Sometimes when he is especially sleepy in the car he will start humming to himself until he falls asleep. It is the cutest thing.
He can say "daddy" "doggy" and very rarely "mommy." Although I don't think he really knows what he's saying when he says my name, I'll take what I can get.

This face is known as the "Daddy how could you accidentally let me fall face first into the water!" face.

He figured out how to open the gate in the fence all by himself. I don't think he has ever even watched me do it. He just figured it out. So basically he must be a child genius, right?

Milo likes to watch Daddy play basketball in the backyard, and one day he started picking up the baby sized ball and trying to throw it in the hoop (way out of reach). Now he knows if he stands there with the ball and jumps a little, then we will come and lift him up for a dunk. Then he claps for himself.



To sum up...our kid is awesome. Dane wanted to be sure I included that part. He really is the love of our lives, and the best decision we have ever made. We wouldn't want our life without him.

This Thursday Milo and I are taking his first ever road trip down to Arizona (a 14 hour drive) and we are doing it WITHOUT DAD. I'm a little nervous about this, but I think we can do it. Have any of you ever taken a one-year-old on a road trip? How do you recommend I keep him entertained?


2 comments:

Lesa said...

ahh yeah. I took Maddox to St. George when he was 12 months. I was super stressed about him being cranky, but he slept the entire way.

But I would plan on lots of rest stops, snacks, drinks.... that's pretty much all you can do.

Because if you give him toys/books and he drops them it's going to be worse.

By the way... your boy is adorable. :)

Rachel Lybbert said...

Milo is so cute! I love how he wants you to pick him up so he can dunk. :) We went on road trips with Emma every couple months when she was a baby and toddler. We always brought a bunch of toys and books that we'd stash around her in her car seat so she'd be entertained. We also gave her a sippy cup and some snacks. If you can, try to plan a large part of your drive during the time he'd usually be taking his nap so he'll sleep a lot of the way. It might also be helpful to let him run around and wear himself out before you strap him into his seat. Good luck!